The northern part of the castle site of Ségur was a type of knights’ village. Its structure evolved but a few buildings still remain. Among the families of these simple knights, several prospered and obtained important seigneuries.
For example, the Hélie family, present on the castle site of Ségur since the 12th century, ruled in the nearby town of Pompadour and built a massive Renaissance castle there, around 1500.
The Pérusse family, established in Ségur since the 11th century, prospered socially from the 14th century onward. They managed to rise to the head of the Les Cars seigneurie, about 40 kms from here, and built a Renaissance castle quite similar to the castle of Pompadour.
The Pérusse family lived in the house currently owned by the proprietors. Part of it dates back to the 13th century, but it was remodeled quite a bit, especially in the 19th century. On the northern side, its medieval framework has been preserved, but the winding stairway tower on the east side no longer exists. There is a porch with rib vaulting before the entrance on the western side, decorated with limestone sculptures from another edifice.
On the left side of the site’s main entrance, there are twin residences, which are former knights’ dwellings. Their ground floor had little light and was used as storage. The second floor, with mullioned windows, was a living area with latrines. The last floor was a covered way with wall walks and wooden defensive balconies, whose fastening holes can still be seen.
To the right of the door, are the vestiges of an old buttress tower.
On the west side, the door tower, which used to give access to the farmyard, still remains as well as the adjoining square tower, which was residential.
The knights’ farmyard
Admire the 3 dimensions of the castrum’s courtyard and find out what each part was used for.