The cross is decorated with golden silver filigree and embedded with rubies, emeralds, and amethysts. Between its relic compartments, on either crossing, is a blue cameo with the emperor’s head on it.
The cross seems to have belonged to the Saumur Grandmontine priory, located 2 kms from les Cars. In the beginning of the 17th century, when this small priory no longer existed, the cross was sent to Les Cars castle. The lord of Les Cars had the cross’s silver footrest made. It is engraved with the Pérusse family coat of arms.
In 1682, François de Pérusse, count of Les Cars and grandson of Geoffroi de Pérusse, solemnly gave the cross to the village church. In 1706, he tried to get it back and return it to the castle but he gave up in order to avoid being excommunicated.
The reliquary cross
Les Cars church holds a precious 13th century reliquary cross, which used to be found in the castle, where it remained for several decades. This audioguide will tell you all about the cross.