The covered marketplace, which likely dates from the very end of the 16th century, was originally located in Place du Tilleul, facing the abbey. By 1826, it was considered derelict and was relocated and partially rebuilt between the church and the hospice, on the site of an old cemetery which had recently been relocated away from the village, to allow for better movement in and around the village centre.
In 1880, the horse chestnut shingles were replaced by a slate roof. The wooden framework takes the form of an inverted “boat’s hullsit” and sit on cylindrical columns mounted on 8 cubic stone bases.
For a long time, the covered marketplace way synonymous with the “boeuf gras” or “fatted cow” festival, as it would be temporarily transformed into an abattoir on mardi gras, or Shrove Tuesday.
Photographs from the 1950s show the covered marketplace temporarily closed down and being used for, amongst other things, a garage for hearses.
It was granted Historic Monument status in 1987.
Photos Credits :
– La halle servant de garage à corbillard © Archives départementales de la Corrèze, côte 5FI136/56.
– Vue de la couverture en ardoises © © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. S. Casenove, 2017
– La charpente, en forme de “coque de bateau” © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. S. Casenove, 2017
– La halle sous la neige © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. P. Rivière, 2018
– Carte postale montrant l’ancien hospice et de la halle © Médiathèque intercommunale
– Ancienne carte postale © Mairie de Meymac
The covered market
Classified as a Monument of Historical Importance, this 16th century covered marketplace has a beautifully carved wooden frame in the shape of an upturned boat’s hull. Listen to the audio guide to find out more.