Crossing the Anglin River


Bookmark and Share

Read more


To cross the river from the town, the population of Angles originally used a fording site located at the foot of the limestone cliffs. A stone bridge was later built to connect the two banks of the river. This Medieval bridge was so narrow it could only be crossed on foot or on horse. Barrows and horse-drawn carts had to go to the fording point at Remerle, a kilometer north of the town, to cross.
In 1740, the River Anglin violently burst its banks and the bridge was swept away. It was subsequently replaced by a ferry service. A ferryman was responsible for ferrying people and cattle across the river in his small craft.
In 1839 the town council decided to build the bridge that currently spans the river. Its 4 arches are separated by 3 stone pillars 1878 its wooden walkway was replaced by stone to make it more solid.

Photos Credits :
– Vue d’Angles depuis l’Anglin © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– Passage à gué de Remerle © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– La maison du passeur © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– Quartier Sainte-Croix © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– Vue du pont actuel © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– L’Anglin © Région Nouvelle Aquitaine, Inventaire général du Patrimoine culturel. J. Chalard-Deschamps, 2018
– Le pont avec son tablier en bois, détail d’une estampe d’Octave de Rochebrune, 1879 © Gallica – Bnf

Etapes suivantes

Fortress and village

Crossing the Anglin River

Listen to the commentary and find out all about how the Anglin River was crossed before the bridge was built.

Other courses